The same application form is used for the Ph.D. and M.S. programs in Physics and the M.S. program in Physics Entrepreneurship.
The application is done online. If you have no computer access to do the online application contact the CWRU School of Graduate Studies directly to request an exception for a mail-in application. Follow this link to apply online. Please note: For application to the PhD Program in Physics, all application fees will be automatically waived. There is no application fee for any and all applicants to our PhD program. Please ignore any instructions that you might encounter during the application process that indicate you should submit a fee.
For application to the Ph.D. program, the application deadline is January 5 for admission to the program in the fall. Students are accepted to start in the fall semester only, with unusual exceptions for transfer students and students holding masters degrees in physics.
Applications to the M.S. program are accepted under a rolling admission policy. Candidates are invited to submit applications for the following fall semester at any time and can expect to receive notification of the admission committee’s decision within approximately three weeks of submitting an application. However, we recommend early application because there is a limited number of available positions. Applications are accepted until the available number of positions are filled. International applicants are encouraged to submit applications by June 15 or earlier in order to ensure sufficient time to secure visas if needed. Candidates will only be accepted for matriculation in the fall semester.
Each application must include
- The completed application form.
- A statement of objective.
- TOEFL scores for international students whose first language is not English.
- Transcripts. These may be unofficial for evaluative purposes. However, please note that official transcripts must be received before students can register for the programs.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Important: For applicants applying for 2024, CWRU Physics will neither require nor recommend that applicants submit GRE scores. This applies to both the general GRE and the physics subject test GRE. We will not be using any GRE scores to evaluate applicants during this application cycle. Please ignore any material in any CWRU application form that may ask for and/or suggest that GRE scores are required.
Unofficial copies (pdf) of transcripts and TOEFL results are acceptable for the early stages of the admissions process, but an official (paper) copy must be provided by mail before admission can officially be finalized. The deadline for receipt of all application material, including letters of recommendation, is January 5 for application for admission to the Ph.D. program. Applications that arrive after this deadline will be considered only as space in the graduate program permits.
Please see the FAQ on Ph.D. Grad Applications
Further questions, if they are not answered in the FAQ about the graduate programs in Physics, may be directed to email@example.com ATTENTION: Director of Graduate Studies. If there are questions about admissions to the Physics Department, please direct these to firstname.lastname@example.org ATTENTION: Admissions Director.